How many people continue to work at a job that they hate? …… A LOT, but why? If you have to prepare yourself before you go to work or always go with negative energy because you know nothing has changed rather it is staffing, co-workers, patients, documentation or the facility, why stay? No job is perfect, but there are jobs out there pretty close to it and to your liking. You just have to be willing to put in the work and face the many challenges that this new journey will take you. We have so MANY opportunities out there that fits the liking of EVERY type of nurse. DO NOT limit yourself to just one position, one title, one unit, one hospital, one nursing home or even city, state & country. Broaden your horizon in nursing find out what you like and do not like. Find out what you enjoy and love doing. No one can do a job effectively if they absolutely hate it. No one can be at peace going to a job that they absolutely hate. No one can grow if they limit themselves because they are afraid of the little challenges that they will face. No journey to success is perfect, so hold your head up through every obstacle and keep on moving forward.
So the next time you go to work pay attention to yourself:
- See if you automatically have an attitude before you even get there.
- See if you feel or bring negative energy to the work environment.
- See if you are unhappy, not at peace, beyond stressed out.
- See if you complain about EVERYTHING.
- See if you feel no one listens to your concerns & or needs.
- See if you do not feel that the patients are not getting the care that they need.
- See if you stay to yourself all shift & refuse to deal with your co-workers.
- See if you even like bed side nursing.
- See if you like documentation.
- See if you like floating.
- See if you even like your unit.
- See if you would consider traveling, maybe even overseas. You will never know until you try it.
Find PEACE at work by finding out what you ENJOY doing and then from there take ACTION! Begin looking jobs that really interest you, make a list of about five things you enjoy doing in nursing, then apply for ten. NEVER EVER leave one job UNTIL you are in and HIRED at your new job! Rather you like your present job or not because a job is a job and at least you have one. It may not be the one you want right now, but it something you can be thankful for until you make your move!!!